Many owners of residential or commercial buildings contemplate at some point whether or not they should replace a roof. Roofs on structures are exposed to all kinds of weather and other elements that lead to damage to the roof itself, and ultimately to the ruin of some of the things contained inside.
Here’s the thing. Replacing a roof doesn’t come easy, nor is it cheap. And if we’re being honest here, it’s not really very cost effective either. That’s because the same things that happened to the roof you want to replace will happen to the new roof too and then you just end up in the exact same spot you’re in at the moment.
There is a better option, which is what we’re going to talk about now.
Create a Like-New Roof with Liquid Rubber Roof Coatings
You can get the look and feel of a brand new roof by covering your existing roof with one of the liquid rubber roof coatings on the market. These are products that serve to protect what’s underneath from all of those things roofs get exposed to that wreak havoc and cause the roof material to start to deteriorate. That deterioration is what results in cracks, leaks, holes, and more and the ultimate destruction of your building in extreme cases.
Liquid Rubber Roof Coatings Benefits
You get a plethora of benefits from applying liquid rubber roof coatings to your roof. Here’s a look at some of the biggest ones:
- Waterproofing – Moisture will be sealed out by liquid rubber roof coatings making your roof almost instantaneously watertight from the moment of application.
- UV protection – The sun’s harmful UV rays won’t be able to penetrate through these coatings to cause any damage. The coatings have reflective properties that give your roof UV-resistance.
- Vacuum-like sealing – Along with sealing out water, liquid rubber roof coatings also seal out air. That means you won’t have drafty wind coming in through gaps anywhere in your roof. The interior of the building can stay cooler in the hot months and warmer in the cold months because the outside air is not able to seep in through cracks or holes.
- Scratch-resistance – These types of coatings also protect the roof from scratches that can occur from branches and other items like flying debris. Scratches in your roof’s surface can ultimately turn into cracks and other kinds of gaps that lead to future problems and damage.
Applying Liquid Rubber Roof Coatings
You don’t need a professional to apply a liquid rubber roof coating to your roof. You can do this project yourself and save some money. The application process is pretty easy. You’ll just want to follow some recommended steps to ensure you apply the coating properly.
- Inspect the roof and make any necessary repairs before you get started.
- Clean the surface of your roof, clearing away any debris and using a degreaser if there is any oily residue present. Allow the roof to dry all the way before starting the application process.
- Put down blue painter’s tape around the surface where you’re going to be applying the liquid rubber roof coating. It will stop any running onto other surfaces.
- Roll on the roof coating with a nap roller or spray it on with a sprayer tool and hose evenly to desired thickness. Use a paintbrush to finish detailing around corners and roof structures.
- Leave the roof to dry, allowing the coating to fully cure before walking on it for any additional work. You should give it a full 24 hours to be safe.